Friday, August 15, 2008

Diet Safe Munchies!

Here's an update on store bought items safe for the diet.

Raquel's All Natural Hummus
  • It's basically all the ingredients in my homemade hummas but it's done for you. Sometimes you don't have a blender or a vitamix so this stuff is the next best thing. I found mine at Down To Earth for just under 4 dollars. For those on a budget, the store bought brand is exactly the same as the homemade stuff only it's 2 to 3 times the cost.
Edward & Sons Brown Rice Snaps - Unsalted Sesame (this flavor only!)
  • The ingredients list brown rice and sesame seeds, that's it. According to the labels, this Japan based company takes their brown rice flour, slightly steams it then bakes it (with the sesame seeds of course). What comes out a a thin, round rice cracker, similiar in flavor to those rice crackers you get as Omiyage when someone comes back from Japan, sized like a small Ritz cracker but alot thinner. There's under 70 crackers in the pack and it cost about 4 dollars a package. Pretty pricey for crackers so I'm dying to find a recipe that will allow me to make it for less!
Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta or Eden Brown Rice Swirls
  • Both list the same ingredients, brown rice, water, and in some cases brown rice bran. The Tinkyada line isn't really "new" to me as I've been using their products (fettucine, spaghetto, penne, and spirals) since the beginning of my start on the diet. The Eden bran is a new find so I have yet to know if it stands up to the Tinkyada line but I'll be sure to post about it once used
Perrier, Vanilla or Almond Extract, and some Stevia
  • This is Kala's (semi) diet safe soda recipe. He uses about 5 drops of vanilla and 8 to 10 drops of stevia (we're using liquid for cold drinks, powder for hot drinks). I say semi because stevia isn't on our list but again, we're using it because we fine that this pure plant, non fermenting sweet leaf works for us.
I'll add more as I find them or remember them!

No comments: