Wednesday, August 13, 2008

2 Green Sauces

These are 2 sauces I'll make in batches and use on different things.

The first is pistou, it's like the french version of pesto as it contains no parmesian cheese.

The second is a my best attempt at a cold ginger sauce.

I say attempt because I'm almost certain the cold ginger sauce you can find slathered on chilled chicken at a chinese restaurant is made with canola oil. It's thinner than olive oil (the only real "cooking" oil we're allowed and even then, it's common knowledge that heating your olive oil for heavy cooking isn't good for you).

Pistou Sauce:
2 large bunches of basil
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup pinenuts
1/2 (or more) of olive oil

I stick it all into the vitamix till it's well mixed together. I'd pulse the vitamix or you'll end up with really green and oily stuff. It keeps really well for quite a while in the fridge. I keep mine in an old cleaned our jelly jar or mayo jar, whatever you got on hand.

I've used pistou sauce for my (brown rice) pasta spirals, on top of chicken, really good with shrimp, mixed with a little lemon and Braggs as a salad dressing. It goes as far as you want it to.

Cold Ginger Sauce:
1 thumb size pieces of ginger
2 bunches of green onion
Olive oil too cover

Pretty simple, like the first. Cut off the green onion into small pieces, peel and cut up the ginger into discs or strips. Throw the green onion, ginger, and some olive into the vitamix and let it whirl. Same storage method as the pistou and ditto on the shelf life. I love this sauce on (tada!!!) cold chicken, freshly pan fried ahi steaks, with lemon and Braggs for use as a salad dressing, and so on and so forth.

No comments: