Thursday, August 14, 2008

Rice Cake Toppings

Brown Rice Cakes are listed as one of the few snack items allowed in my diet. So it's a task to find ways to make them interesting. On any other day I'd rather suck on my own thumb than chew thru a brown rice cake but I've got no choice, so creativity must serve me well in this situation.

Here's a few ideas:

Homemade Hummus with 1 or some
  1. pieces of roasted chicken
  2. flaked salmon
  3. clover sproats
  4. shredded carrots
  5. pinenuts
Avocados with 1 or some
  1. black pepper
  2. shredded turkey breast (try the kalua turkey!!!!)
  3. carmelized onions (it's a hassle to cook them but oh so yummy!)
  4. hamburger (must be organic but you can get it easy at Costco or A'ala Meats)
  5. sproats/onions/carrots/lettuce
Hazelnut or Almond Butter
  • Both butters are sugarfree so they are very concentrated flavors. A couple drops of stevia makes it a yummy treat.
That's simple enough. Brown rice cakes basically become your bread substitute. It helps to toast them (Thanks Kala!) and remember that the salt-free and lighty salted Lundberg's Brown Rice Cakes are the only flavors in that line that are diet safe. No Tamari or sugar flavors allowed.

1 comment:

AC said...

I actually really like brown rice cakes plain. Screw thumbs. There is also a sesame seed one we can have that is tasty. I will try your butter + stevia concoctions and maybe if I focus hard enough it will taste like chocolate.